Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Dec 5 13:03:26 CET 2013

In message <6146ec36-8e2c-4c65-9535-59d7439ddf30 at default>, at 03:11:00
on Thu, 5 Dec 2013, Joe Alhadeff <joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com> writes
>I will not provide an opinion on the nuances of what attribution
>statements may have from other groups, but I thought it might be useful
>to lay out my understanding of how business is perceiving the role of
>the nominated representatives.  As you can imagine business has the
>same issues as the other stakeholders in trying to understand how to
>agree on representatives from diverse sectors, geographies and issue
>interests.  We also face the issue of volunteering for a black box
>exercise, because until we meet we are not sure of the related process
>or exact function of each of the groups being created. We also believe
>that the term representative, as in representative democracy, may be
>misleading.  We do not see the Business reps as the final decision
>makers but rather as the liaisons who participate in meetings and the
>development of messages and exploration of ideas, but will consult with
>the broader stakeholder group related to positions going in and any
>decisions made related to drafts

I completely agree that the role of representatives at this stage in the
process (of the steering committee) should be that of a liaison.

This makes it important for everyone to understand who is representing
such a body that they will be liaising with, and who is only
representing themselves (ie "speaking in their personal capacity").
--
Roland Perry