Joe Alhadeff joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com
Thu Dec 5 12:11:00 CET 2013

Colleagues:

I will not provide an opinion on the nuances of what attribution statements may have from other groups, but I thought it might be useful to lay out my understanding of how business is perceiving the role of the nominated representatives.  As you can imagine business has the same issues as the other stakeholders in trying to understand how to agree on representatives from diverse sectors, geographies and issue interests.  We also face the issue of volunteering for a black box exercise, because until we meet we are not sure of the related process or exact function of each of the groups being created. We also believe that the term representative, as in representative democracy, may be misleading.  We do not see the Business reps as the final decision makers but rather as the liaisons who participate in meetings and the development of messages and exploration of ideas, but will consult with the broader stakeholder group related to positions going in and any decisions made related to drafts.  We would foresee a process that provides some time for efficient consultations with broader memberships between draft iterations.  The reality is that organizing and drafting is best done in smaller groups, but they must engage in a consultation and consensus process with the broader stakeholder group as positions develop.  I hope that this view of the role of the representative may help make selection processes, imperfect as they may be, seem less onerous by having the necessary transparency and consultation to enable true multi-stakeholder participation.

Joe