Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Dec 5 10:52:44 CET 2013

In message <529FAEA1.2060409 at gmail.com>, at 11:37:21 on Thu, 5 Dec 2013,
Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> writes
>>> As a matter of fact I think those are exactly the right people, but the
>>> "L" word is problematic.
>>
>> Are you suggesting that they didn't have sufficient editorial control
>> over the Statement to make their signatorial position clear?
>
>I suggest that you read the IETF discussion list archive
>starting October 8:
>http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/mail4.html
>
>You will see how a stakeholder discussion really looks...

Having dipped my toe in that water, I appear to agree with John Klensin:

        It would be naive at best to assume that its intended audience
        would look at [the Montevideo Statement] it and say "Ah. A bunch
        of people with leadership roles in important Internet
        organizations happened to be in the same place and decided to
        make a statement in their individual capacities".  Not only does
        it not read that way, but there are conventions for delivering
        the "individual capacity" message,  including prominent use of
        phrases like "for identification only".
--
Roland Perry