Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Dec 5 01:56:12 CET 2013

On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 10:15:45PM +0000, John Curran wrote:
> The 1net Steering Committee could decide to focus on primarily administrative
> matters and facilitating the production of 1net outcomes by the participants
> at large on this list and other collaborative mechanisms (this would be taking
> 1net towards the "open" multistakeholderism approach) or alternatively it could
> focus on processes that emphasize the role of the 1net steering committee in
> the shaping and approval of 1net outcomes (i.e. taking a more "representative"
> multistakeholderism approach)

The above illustrates almost perfectly why I am unconvinced that we
need to "seat" (for some value of "we" and "seat") a steering
committee.  Let those whose great efforts have got us this far
continue in the same mode they've been operating, given their apparent
attention to how people are reacting and the feedback loop provided by
this list.  "Seating" a "steering committee" smacks, to me, of some
kind of self-referential and self-granted "legitimacy".  A bunch of
people saying, "Hey, I'll do that," on the basis of their reading of
the concerns on a mailing list is less _nominally_ legit, but (I
argue) more _actually_ legit.

Many of us are naturally organizers -- "process people".  We want to
normalize.  But our current effort is a foundational activity, and I
suggest that there's a lot of scrabbling in the dirt to do before it's
time to lay more permanent foundations.  We have enthusiastic
volunteers who are working on this stuff now.  We have a large engaged
population that is watching the developments.  If we're going to take
a run at the existing structure, we need to do it, I suggest, in the
sort of completely decentralised, voluntarily-co-operative manner that
the rest of the Net runs.

--
Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com