Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Dec 5 01:45:15 CET 2013

On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 08:43:49PM +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

> In which case why does the statement open with the words I quoted?

Because it notes that _they_ met.  Not that, for instance, "The IAB
stated," but rather that the Chair of the IAB was agreeing to
something about a meeting he was at, in his official capacity.

> So why did they allow their names to be attached to a statement of this
> kind with attributions such as "Chair IAB|IETF"?

Because that was the capacity in which they were acting.  That does
not mean they speak for the named organizations.

> At the very least it will be confusing to people who are not extremely
> well versed in IETF politics (which is of course "almost everyone").

Yes.  It's not for nothing that the Montevideo Statement was
controversial within the IETF, as judged by discussion on the IETF
mailing list.  I will not comment on whether there was controversy
within the IAB.

> They will undoubtedly assume that their signature is backed by the
> organisations they chair, just as we assume that what the RIR and ISOC
> chiefs said was representing their organisations' view, and not just a
> personal opinion.

Indeed, which is precisely why I am calling out this difference now,
here, among presumed friends.  We need to attend to these differences
in the way different groups of people who might be interested are
likely to react.  We could also dismiss those possible reactions as
hopeless naïveté, but I'd like to think that we're not that foolish.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com