Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 22:09:33 CET 2013

On 05/12/2013 08:33, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <20131204165728.GE22945 at mx1.yitter.info>, at 11:57:28 on Wed,
> 4 Dec 2013, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> remarked:
>> On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 11:03:19AM +0000, John Curran wrote:
>>
>>> Could the other stakeholder groups on the mailing list please
>>> identify if they are working on identifying names for the 1net
>>> steering committee?  I am aware that Civil Society is working
>>> on such from the attached email from Sala, but do not know
>>> about the Technical or Academic communities...
>> The difficulty I'm having with this request is that I'm not sure who
>> could speak for the so-called Technical Community (I say so-called
>> because I'm not even sure it's a meaningful category).
>
> You could start with the signatories of the Montevideo Statement, who
> declared themselves to be "The leaders of organizations responsible for
> coordination of the Internet technical infrastructure globally".

As a matter of fact I think those are exactly the right people, but the
"L" word is problematic. At least in the IETF people tend to think of
the various Chair roles as service roles, very much subject to community
rough consensus. If a Chair purports to be a Leader, s/he will be told
off by the IETF at large.

I know from personal experience that *outside* the IETF, the IAB Chair
and the IETF Chair get treated as leaders, but *inside* it is not the case.

I would also like to point out that ISOC's mission is a lot wider than
"coordination of the Internet technical infrastructure". I'm very happy
that ISOC signed the Montevideo statement, but ISOC is also part of
civil society.

    Brian