Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Dec 4 21:43:49 CET 2013

In message <20131204201850.GB23876 at mx1.yitter.info>, at 15:18:50 on Wed,
4 Dec 2013, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> writes
>On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 07:33:48PM +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <20131204165728.GE22945 at mx1.yitter.info>, at 11:57:28 on Wed,
>> 4 Dec 2013, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> remarked:
>
>> >The difficulty I'm having with this request is that I'm not sure who
>> >could speak for the so-called Technical Community (I say so-called
>> >because I'm not even sure it's a meaningful category).
>>
>> You could start with the signatories of the Montevideo Statement, who
>> declared themselves to be "The leaders of organizations responsible for
>> coordination of the Internet technical infrastructure globally".
>
>Those are rather different categories.  It is certainly true that
>Jari, in his role as IESG/IETF Chair, and Russ, in his role as IAB
>Chair, count as leaders of two of those organizations.  Moreover, if
>you read that statement carefully, you will note that it is a report
>of a meeting among individuals.

In which case why does the statement open with the words I quoted?

> The IETF and IAB Chairs of course act as leaders, but in general the
>IETF doesn't elect people to speak for it.

So why did they allow their names to be attached to a statement of this
kind with attributions such as "Chair IAB|IETF"?

At the very least it will be confusing to people who are not extremely
well versed in IETF politics (which is of course "almost everyone").

They will undoubtedly assume that their signature is backed by the
organisations they chair, just as we assume that what the RIR and ISOC
chiefs said was representing their organisations' view, and not just a
personal opinion.

--
Roland Perry