Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Dec 4 20:20:28 CET 2013

On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 05:28:20PM +0000, John Curran wrote:
>   Unless we want Adiel as the acting 1net coordinator simply making
>   the decision on all such matters (which is also an option, as he's
>   quite bright and capable :-), a 1net steering committee would
>   probably be desired.

I hereby suggest that we defer to Adiel as a temporary expedient until
the mechanisms for identifying the relevant other volunteers are
clear.  (It seems to me that this policy is in fact already in place,
but maybe I'm wrong.)  If it turns out that some other people who have
apparent good judgement and a tendency when unsure to consult widely
also want to volunteer, I am unlikely to object.

I am much more troubled by the idea of somehow selecting
representatives (along the lines of representative democracy) for
various ill-defined "constituencies" than I am by the idea that
someone motivated, thoughtful, and careful just does some things and
might make a wrong decision.  If this is truly supposed to be
bottom-up, then those who have the energy and time and enthusiasm
should just get to work, and not wait for the creation of a rules
subcommittee that can weigh the merits of different selection rules
for the relevant work-governing committee.  In bootstrap mode, I think
we should be lax on process and keen to throw things away in case of
error.  Later, we will need formalism.  Now, we need action by people
with good judgement.

I am fully prepared to be way out in the rough on this, so feel free
to ignore me.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com