[I-coordination] A Framework for Recent Internet Governance Discussions – From Montevideo Statement to 1net

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 05:39:03 CET 2013

On 04/12/2013 14:45, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> ... What is mistakenly called Internet crime
> is actually just crime that happens to involve the Internet in some
> fashion.

I think this is a fundamental fact that needs to be written on a very
large banner placed in every room where people purport to discuss
"Internet governance". You don't regulate bank robbery by regulating
the highways used by bank robbers.

Sigh. I remember in 1995, when only a handful of people in the UN
organisations could even spell 'Internet', being asked (at the 'Geneva
Internet Day' organised by Guy Girardet for the benefit of all the UN
organisations) about the need for Internet laws. I replied more or less
in the same words as Phill's quoted above. I think I also said something
like 'if it's illegal on the street, it's illegal on the Internet'. Here
we are 18 years later and people still don't get it.

Mutatis mutandis, the same applies to privacy protection and legal
intercept. The Internet really isn't different in some magical way from
older media.

   Brian