[I-coordination] A Framework for Recent Internet Governance Discussions – From Montevideo Statement to 1net (was: Re: What is 1net to me?)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Dec 4 05:19:04 CET 2013

On Dec 4, 2013, at 9:08 AM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:
> On 4 Dec 2013, at 9:05 am, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>>
>> Jeremy -
>>
>>  I do not believe in either of the above statements.  Where there
>>  are technical solutions, we should talk about them; where there
>>  is not, we need to work even closer with other segments of the
>>  greater Internet community (including governments) to find ways
>>  forward.
>>
>>  Why do you feel it should be otherwise?
>
> I agree with what you say now, but it was not what I understood from your blog post.  I was particularly going on "it is my expectation that 1net will help promote existing technical solutions or identify opportunities for additional cooperation among Internet organizations", which to me read as if it was about continuing to promote the concept of the technical community has having all the answers to the Internet's problems.

Jeremy -

Not at all my intent - some problems may indeed have potential technical solutions,
but that's unlikely for all situations.  In rereading my posting given your comments,
perhaps I should have been more explicit by saying it in this way:

  "It is my expectation that 1net will help promote existing technical solutions,
   or identify opportunities for additional cooperation among all stakeholders,
   including governments, to address these challenges."

i.e. by saying just "opportunities for cooperation among Internet organizations",
it does readily allow for your interpretation (the error in clarity is mine and
I thank you for pointing it out :-)

Thanks!
/John

Disclaimer:  My views alone, and in no way indicative what 1net really decides to become...