[I-coordination] A Framework for Recent Internet Governance Discussions – From Montevideo Statement to 1net (was: Re: What is 1net to me?)

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Dec 4 02:08:59 CET 2013

On 4 Dec 2013, at 9:05 am, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2013, at 8:14 AM, "Jeremy Malcolm" <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:
>>
>> If that is so, then I can't support 1net in that form, as I think the technical community has been fixated for too long on the idea that there are technical solutions to policy problems, and the idea that its version of the multi-stakeholder model is the only way to produce these solutions.
>
> Jeremy -
>
>   I do not believe in either of the above statements.  Where there
>   are technical solutions, we should talk about them; where there
>   is not, we need to work even closer with other segments of the
>   greater Internet community (including governments) to find ways
>   forward.
>
>   Why do you feel it should be otherwise?

I agree with what you say now, but it was not what I understood from your blog post.  I was particularly going on "it is my expectation that 1net will help promote existing technical solutions or identify opportunities for additional cooperation among Internet organizations", which to me read as if it was about continuing to promote the concept of the technical community has having all the answers to the Internet's problems.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge hub |http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.

WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.