Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Tue Dec 3 20:50:45 CET 2013

Fascinating readings these days - thank you, everyone, who is contributing!
(I've missed that spirit on open mailing lists for some time now.)
At ISOC-Bulgaria we are working with some of the more active ISOC
chapters on seeing how we could engage them in 1net, and in the global
discussion; needless to say the chapters are subject to national
legislation, interests, and points of view, and could contribute a lot
from regions and countries that are not usually very active in our
discussions.

Thanks, everyone, for staying positive!

v.

On 12/03/13 13:34, Marilia Maciel wrote:
> Hi Raul,
>
> I agree with your conception of an IGF++ as an improved converging
> venue for discussions we will have next year. I hope we have good and
> active slate of MAG reps, and I think it is fundamental that the
> community supports them. 1net could be a platform where stakeholders
> could discuss and improve the understanding of how to put in place an
> IGF++, always working with the MAG, and carefully avoiding
> displacement or duplication.
>
> Um abraço
> Marília
>

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Raul Echeberria <raul at lacnic.net
> <mailto:raul at lacnic.net>> wrote:
>

>     Hi Marilia:
>
>     You make very good points. Let me refer only to a couple of them.
>

>     El 01/12/2013, a las 17:56, Marilia Maciel escribió:
>
>>     Dear Paul and all,
>>

>>     ------
>>

>>     - From what I understand, you believe that strengthening the IGF
>>     would be an acceptable or a "good enough" result for the meeting
>>     in Brazil. Certainly, there are some of us that want to see the
>>     IGF strengthened, but would also like to see concrete steps, or
>>     least a roadmap, when it comes to principles and institutional
>>     arrangements. Do you (and others) in the list think that 1net
>>     would be ready to work on proposals about that?
>>

>     I think yes, or at least 1net can contribute to create the enable
>     environment to make it happens.
>

>>     These topics have constantly been in the speeches of Brazilian
>>     hosts and of many other non-gov actors. I think if the platform
>>     wants to be constructive and make sure multistakeholder
>>     participation is reinforced after Brazil, it should arrive in
>>     Brazil with ideas about theseissues as well.
>>

>>     Let's not forget as well that we have a very detailed
>>     multistakeholder report on IGF improvements, produced by the CSTD
>>     WG. Most of the concrete things we need to do in order to
>>     strengthen the IGF are there. What we need is to put those
>>     recommendations in place (so the IGF would become an even more
>>     meaningful space for the community) and to have political
>>     commitment with the Forum. If the issue of strengthening the IGF
>>     hinders other necessary discussions, it could be a political
>>     shoot in the foot.
>>

>     I agree we have to work together in introducing some of those
>     improvements in IGF, and some of those changes should be in place
>     in 2014. I think that all the discussions being held at this
>     moment in different environments should converge toward the next
>     IGF meeting in September and so, we will need a IGF++ to deal with
>     the challenge of getting some output as the result of all those
>     discussions processes.
>

>     Raúl
>

>>     Thanks and congratulations for the text.
>>

>>     Marília
>>
>>     --
>>     *Marília Maciel*
>>     Pesquisadora Gestora
>>     Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - FGV Direito Rio

> [...]

Best,
Veni Markovski
http://www.veni.com
https://www.facebook.com/venimarkovski
https://twitter.com/veni

The opinions expressed above are those of the
author, not of any organizations, associated
with or related to him in any given way.