[I-coordination] A Framework for Recent Internet Governance Discussions – From Montevideo Statement to 1net (was: Re: What is 1net to me?)

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 19:53:41 CET 2013

Hi John,

Thank you for explaining the history and goals behind the initiative that
came to be 1net. Regardless of the conference in Brazil, the goal of
improving policy and regulatory frameworks by making sure that technical
aspects are taken into account in their development is of ultimate
relevance. As a lawyer, it is very easy to notice how most policy and
regulation about the Internet have been "floating" above the infrastructure
and architecture, without real contact with it. Inefficient or poorly
developed policies are not in the best interest of any of us.

I hope that the goal that initially inspired the technical community to
engage in this fruitful dialogue with governments - and with all
stakeholder groups here in this platform - bears fruits next year and
beyond.

Marília

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> I recently wrote down some thoughts on 1net - attached to this email for
> those interested. (Reference the original posting for hyperlinks, etc.)
>
> FYI,
> /John
>
> === <
> http://teamarin.net/2013/12/03/framework-for-recent-internet-governance-discussions-from-montevideo-statement-to-1net/
> >

> There have been many significant Internet Governance developments in the
> last several weeks, and so I’d like to take this moment to provide a
> framework in which to consider these recent events.
>
> For the last several years, the leadership of several recognized Internet
> organizations (ISOC, ICANN, IAB/IETF, IANA, the 5 Regional Internet
> Registries (RIRs), and W3C; sometimes referred to as the “Internet
> technical organizations”) have met periodically to promote better
> coordination between these groups.  While there have been brief statements
> issued in the past after such meetings, the statement issued after this
> years’ meeting (known as the Montevideo Statement on the Future of Internet
> Cooperation) made some observations about the Internet which were fairly
> obvious but hadn’t been documented previously in a clear and consistent
> manner. High-level points from the Montevideo Statement include:
>
>   - Importance of globally coherent Internet operations
>
>   - Concern over Internet fragmentation at a national level
>
>   - Strong concern over pervasive monitoring and surveillance
>
>   - Ongoing need to address Internet Governance challenges
>
>   - Need for evolution of global multistakeholder Internet cooperation
>
>   - Need for globalization of ICANN and IANA functions
>
>   - Need to allow all stakeholders (including governments) to participate
> equally
>
>   - Need for the transition to IPv6 to remain a top priority globally
>
> It was possible that issuing the statement might have simply passed as a
> non-event, with participants going back to their organizations and working
> on various pieces of the above. For example, the IETF has been considering
> the implications of pervasive monitoring; ISOC has been exploring the
> evolution of multistakeholder Internet cooperation; ICANN has been working
> on its globalization efforts; the RIRs have been actively encouraging IPv6
> deployment; etc.
>
> However, many of these issues are of interest to parties not necessarily
> participating today in IETF, ISOC, ICANN, the RIRs, and W3C; this may be
> the result of folks unaware of the open participatory nature of these
> organizations. There is also a natural desire to be able to discuss
> higher-layer (i.e. social, economic, political) issues and implications
> outside of the Internet technical organizations but in a forum that still
> allows for open participation on an equal basis for all involved.
>
> There is presently an organization that does a good job of facilitating
> [...]

*Marília Maciel*
Pesquisadora Gestora
Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - FGV Direito Rio

Researcher and Coordinator
Center for Technology & Society - FGV Law School
http://direitorio.fgv.br/cts

DiploFoundation associate
www.diplomacy.edu