Tijani BENJEMAA tijani.benjemaa at topnet.tn
Mon Dec 2 20:53:14 CET 2013

Dear Klaus,

We need new answers and maybe it is better to simply start using this list
to start discussing fundamental questions like: "What kind of multi
stakeholderism do we need today and how will it create itself?", How can the
obsolete understanding of sovereignty by Nation States be reformed and
changes so that it actually fits into a digital world?", What does
multi-lateral, multi-stakeholder, cyber security and so on actually means in
our reality today?.

I don’t think the problem is that those things are confusing or people have
different definition for them. I’m not sure that there are several kinds of
multi-stakeholderism; it’s always the same even if the stakeholders may be
different from a environment to another (in the IGF they are governments,
civil society, private sector and international organizations while in
ICANN, they are contracted parties, governments, non commercial stakeholder
group, end users, ccTLD operators, etc.). I don’t believe that there are 2
persons who understand Multilateralism differently.

All this started by the Montevideo statement that I fully support, and that
came subsequently to the recent revelations of pervasive monitoring and
surveillance. It expressed the clear need to continually strengthen and
evolve the mechanisms for global multi-stakeholder Internet cooperation, in
truly substantial ways, to be able to address emerging issues faced by
stakeholders in the Internet. Paul explained very well the sequence of the
events and the origin of this (I will not call it movement) initiative and I
do agree with those who highlighted that 1net is not the Brazil meeting next
year, and it is not conditioned by it at all.

----

Tijani BEN JEMAA

Executive Director

Phone:  + 216 41 649 605