Raul Echeberria raul at lacnic.net
Mon Dec 2 13:23:31 CET 2013

Hi Marilia:

You make very good points. Let me refer only to a couple of them.

El 01/12/2013, a las 17:56, Marilia Maciel escribió:

> Dear Paul and all,
>

> ------
>

> - From what I understand, you believe that strengthening the IGF would be an acceptable or a “good enough” result for the meeting in Brazil. Certainly, there are some of us that want to see the IGF strengthened, but would also like to see concrete steps, or least a roadmap, when it comes to principles and institutional arrangements. Do you (and others) in the list think that 1net would be ready to work on proposals about that?

I think yes, or at least 1net can contribute to create the enable environment to make it happens.

> These topics have constantly been in the speeches of Brazilian hosts and of many other non-gov actors. I think if the platform wants to be constructive and make sure multistakeholder participation is reinforced after Brazil, it should arrive in Brazil with ideas about these issues as well.
>

> Let's not forget as well that we have a very detailed multistakeholder report on IGF improvements, produced by the CSTD WG. Most of the concrete things we need to do in order to strengthen the IGF are there. What we need is to put those recommendations in place (so the IGF would become an even more meaningful space for the community) and to have political commitment with the Forum. If the issue of strengthening the IGF hinders other necessary discussions, it could be a political shoot in the foot.

I agree we have to work together in introducing some of those improvements in IGF, and some of those changes should be in place in 2014. I think that all the discussions being held at this moment in different environments should converge toward the next IGF meeting in September and so, we will need a IGF++ to deal with the challenge of getting some output as the result of all those discussions processes.

Raúl