Stephane Van Gelder Consulting svg at stephanevangelder.com
Mon Dec 2 10:43:38 CET 2013

The issue may not so much be whether 1net and the other events that
preceded it were truly bottom-up, but more whether these are initiatives
that the various Internet communities can rally behind.

It seems to me that the goal of keeping Internet Governance (IG) truly
multi stakeholder (MS) is one most (I would hope all, but you never know)
can rally behind.

So the question then becomes more how to safeguard this ideal, if it truly
is under attack.

Right now, from a PR point of view, I do not think 1net is a clear
initiative at all. As other have already remarked in this email chain,
Paul's article reinforces that view (the vagueness as to what 1net is for
at the end of the article is evident).

But conversely to others, I do not see this lack of current clarity as a
problem, but rather an opportunity. I see 1net as a (currently) empty
canvas, one that has been put in front of the Internet community as a whole
to shape as it will.

This is why I was keen to join this mailing list and participate in the
debate. If, through discussions, it transpires that 1net is actually one
vehicle too many and can never get clarity, then I hope at that point we
will all have the courage to pull its plug.

But there is also the possibility that 1net, by fostering discussions
within our community and allowing ideas to coalesce under the "defend MS IG
model" banner, may actually be of use...

Best,

Stéphane Van Gelder
Chairman and Managing Director/Fondateur
STEPHANE VAN GELDER CONSULTING

T (FR): +33 (0)6 20 40 55 89
T (UK): +44 (0)7583 457053
Skype: SVANGELDER
www.StephaneVanGelder.com
Follow us on Twitter: @stephvg and "like" us on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/DomainConsultant
LinkedIn: fr.linkedin.com/in/domainconsultant/