Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 20:20:57 CET 2013

On 01/12/2013 18:37, Paul Wilson wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I hope this is a helpful contribution to our current discussion/debate/dialogue:
>
>   http://www.circleid.com/posts/2013112_what_is_1net_to_me

Paul,

I have say I remain puzzled about the concrete objectives. You say:

"The IGF should be strengthened as the recognized global forum in which
Internet Governance issues can be addressed among a truly
multistakeholder community; it must continue for the foreseeable future
but also keep evolving to meet current and emerging needs;"

Why? What bad things will happen if the IGF is not strengthened? And
what bad things might happen if it is strengthened?

"The 1net initiative should encompass the widest possible stakeholder
community,..."

How is this different from the community that's been invited to join
ISOC since 1992?

"...like the IGF itself, but without being duplicative of the IGF in any
respect."

How can it encompass the same community without being, by definition,
the same people and therefore automatically duplicative?

"If successful, it should function in some way as an "inter-sessional"
IGF process."

In order to achieve what? I remain unclear about the *new* objectives
that all this talking is aimed at. What aren't we doing already that
actually needs doing?

    Brian