Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 20:19:40 CET 2013

Dear All,

Firstly warm greetings from Christchurch (dealing with the cold and lost
baggage aint pretty but it's a beautiful morning so I thought I would add
to the discussions).

The Internet Governance landscape clearly is wide, diverse and canvasses a
vast broad spectrum of actors and stakeholders. Many of these stakeholders
and actors have their own established practices and processes of doing
things whether this is on an administration or operational level.
Personally, I feel that in engaging in discussions now on just one
microcosm is a distraction from engaging in discussions on a wider scale
and raising global public interests that matter. I feel that zooming into
picking on one organisation such as ICANN which I liken to a microcosm in
the Internet Governance landscape is self defeating to some extent. When I
use "self" here I am referring to the "iNet".

 In a way, ICANN parading itself like a peacock (saying look at me...look
at me...) places other diverse and equally important microcosms of the
internet at huge risk of unnecessary backlash and jeopardizes the unique
opportunity presented to the wider community to engage in good faith
dialogue on a myriad of issues that need to be addressed.

Personally, as far as the iStars go, I feel that whilst there were good
intentions in coming up with the label the perception that comes with
"branding" is (arrogance, elitism) which are characteristics that conflict
with the spirit of the will to collaborate (humility, willingness to listen
to others and engage). All iStar organisations are equally important,
diverse functions but all necessary to the overall architecture of this one
thing that we all love so dear - the Internet. Equally important are the
diverse stakeholders that help make up the Internet Universe. I first heard
the term from Kilnam Chon. Ecosystems whilst vast in their own space are at
the end of the day microcosms in a global landscape. This is not to reduce
their significance and importance but more so to show that they are part of
a wider world than themselves.

Clearly the term multistakeholderism means different things to different
people and organisations and there is no one standard definition of MSH.
There are diverse and conflicting views on what MSH is and should be and
how much representation stakeholder communities and constituency should
have.

Authentic collaboration cannot be built on suspicion and mistrust. It has
to come from a place where each is secure in their own identity and that
there is no need to trample on others or cutting other throats in the quest
to achieve goals.

As far as Internet Governance goes we are in unusual times in the earth and
it is not because of Snowden's revelations although that was a trigger. I
agree with George Sadowsky that the reality is that there are many
countries who were engaging in similar surveillance activities. The
European Parliament recently had a Hearing following a Report to see
whether some of its member countries were breaching acceptable standards.

My broad summation of the core issues that we have to grapple with stem
from some key trends are causing some global public interest questions some
of which are public policy related and others technical in nature and both
affect each other.

 If we do a Global Public Interest SWOT analysis based on three broad
stakeholder groups, that is Civil Society, Private Sector and Public
Sector, it will help channel and direct the discussions to shared concerns
and responsibilities. If we start from places of agreement (concerns, fears
etc) it becomes easier to deal with the rest. For example,

1) Security and Stability of the Internet (vague) and can mean different
things to countries, organisations, so we have to work towards zeroing in.
2)Open and Transparent Network can also mean different things to different
stakeholders and constituencies etc.
3)Role of constituencies in a MSH environment. Even this ambiguous as
different contexts demand different approaches. However, there are certain
standards that can be expected.
4)Accountability and Transparency mechanisms that are not just internally
constituted but externally managed as well. For eg. just as organisations
are subjected to both internal auditing and external auditing, stakeholders
can work towards developing universally accepted mechanisms for IG Audits
of various key organisations (some who are in the iStar category) which can
feature different key indicators that inspires greater confidence in the
organisations.

Kind Regards,
Sala