Satish Babu sb at computer.org
Sun Dec 1 20:09:43 CET 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 12:01 AM, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com>wrote:

> So perhaps when Paul Wilson shares his view on what is 1net for him, I'd
> like to ask everyone else on the list!: what is 1net for each of you
> and, by extension, what is 1net for your local community?

Thanks Olivier. I too agree with John that it is more important for us to
participate and drive this initiative to where we want it to go, than to
worry about its origins at this time.

My take on 1net, as someone belonging to an ALS in Asia-Pacific, is as
follows:

1. Almost all of us in the local communities believe in the potential of
the multistakeholder (MSH) model for the governance of the Internet, as an
evolutionary improvement over the multilateral approach.

2. We also consider that the MSH model is still evolving and has
significant scope for improvement

3. The recent revelations on surveillance and privacy-related issues have
created an opportunity for us to imbue further resilience in the MSH model,
so that we are able to address these concerns of civil society.

4. We see the Montevideo Statement as well as the Brazil Conference with
cautious optimism, and hope that the outcome of these processes is to
further "untether" the MSH model and truly internationalize it.

5. We hope that there is a transparent & participatory process of
identifying leadership in order to achieve these goals, and also that there
is adequate participation from all stakeholders at all levels.

satish

--
Satish Babu
Computer Society of India