John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Dec 1 18:39:19 CET 2013

On Dec 1, 2013, at 10:56 PM, Jorge Amodio <jmamodio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Paul, good article.
>
> BTW, it is interesting to observe that leaders or CEO's, including the rogue (and after the fact damage control made by the Bod) move by ICANN's CEO, does not exactly represent bottom-up actions.
>

> Not a single iota of consultation with the real bottom was made in relation to the events mentioned in your article.

Jorge -

We're trying to catalyze an activity via the formation of "1net" (with an open call for participation
including formation of the steering committee.)  As folks probably realize from the initial awkward
steps, it actually would have been _much_ easier to have a I*-specified 1net leadership and an
I*-provided list of specific goals, etc.

I acknowledge there is an inherent conflict between a set of leaders meeting and then calling for
an initiative to be formed versus waiting for it to form organically, but having now called for its
formation and allowing folks to participate (or not), to shaping its direction (or not), to seat folks
on the steering committee (or not); the only way "1net" will not be the result of bottom-up actions
is from lack of  participation rather than lack of opportunity.   One would hope that folks who have
contact with "the real bottom" will work to make that community aware of the initiative and enable
their participation.

Thanks!
/John

Disclaimers:  My views alone.